OTL301 – Post 1

I am a long-term, experienced educator. I have (a) taught K-12 for may years, (b) evaluated practice and programs as a senior manager, and (c) enjoyed applying past practice and newly-learned practice into the post-secondary environment.While still learning many new concepts, I feel much of my practice is effectively honed.

One of my most effective and well-received strategies is to conduct immediate feedback on assignments; within a 24 hour time frame.

I remember when I was in public school and teachers would keep assignments and exams for weeks before returning anything to the students. Why have due dates for students if not for teachers? Also, when doing my doctoral studies I experienced unsatisfactory supervision. My main supervisor would not return emails, agree to meetings, and fail to return work/ideas for weeks at a time. This was very frustrating and led to an unhealthy relationship between student and supervisor.

Providing immediate feedback to students on their work and ideas honours them as individuals, and excites them about what they are doing. This is also an effective practice for the teacher as it maintains their focus and keep them in touch with their students, building a trusting and appreciative relationship.

The key ingredients are that the teacher needs to have good scheduling and tie management, planning their time in advance to provide this opportunity. Central to the effective of the practice is that the feedback is meaningful; being specific and constructive from the student’s learning perspective.

I have kept to the feedback philosophy for decades, thus, presently, regarding the timely and targeted feedback practice, I have not foreseen any changes to it at this time.